Wednesday 10 August 2011

Baking eggs...crazy or chic?

Maybe i'm not in the know as much as other cake fanatics out there but today is the first i'm hearing about eggs specifically for baking.My discovery came as i was flicking through Marie Claire earlier on and stopped at a full page advertisement with the headline 'cupcake pour femme', showing a female model looking as though she was in cupcake heaven and finishing with the end line 'bake it beautiful'. At first glance i really wasn't quite sure if it was real just because i had never heard or seen these 'baking eggs' before, after a quick search on Google i found the website this advertisement belonged to, www.ellavalentine.co.uk.

The website was cute and pretty, not really explaining the point of baking eggs or why they were better than normal eggs, but filled with lovely cupcake recipes and tea time treats. They tell you where you can buy them from, local supermarkets such as sainsbury's  but not anything about the price. I'm sure these are more expensive than regular and organic eggs, which leads me to ask are these a great new product designed to improve our home baking or just an overpriced gimmick? Are they necessary? or would good quality free range fresh organic or non organic eggs do the same thing? I'm not going to completely knock these before i try them, so next time when i go shopping i think i will pick up a pack for testing and judge for myself, i'll be sure to post the results!

2 comments:

  1. Cute, sure, but excessively gimmicky, I'd say. In the States the recipes usually state the size of egg to use, I think it's normally "large" but beyond that, they are going a little far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Nicole, very gimmicky, i think people would buy them just for the 'cute' factor.I'm keen to try them myself and see what the fuss is about, but i don't doubt i'll be sticking to my usual fresh free-range variety..

    ReplyDelete